I’m over here day-dreaming about summer vacation between clients and kids and winter getaways. What about you? Are you one of those people who loves the chilly weather, boots, endless bowls of soup, and spends the weekends baking goodies and watching football? I DO love those parts of winter, but I’m only really into it for the first couple snowstorms we get. After that, it’s time to break the swimsuits and farmer’s markets back out in my opinion.
But enough about me. Who’s ready for some Super Bowl 50 fun?! Whether you’re hosting a party this year or bringing a dish to a friend’s house, we’ve got you covered with healthy menu ideas to please the palette and keep you on track with your health and fitness goals. I teamed up with a fellow real-food foodie and CrossFit enthusiast, Charlene Fudge, to bring you easy, colorful, healthy ideas for the big day. We spent the day in the Whole Nourished Life kitchen laughing, cooking, and shooting these easy recipes you’re sure to love. Make them all for an appetizer extravaganza, pick your favorite for game day, or serve the fajitas for a simple one-dish theme. Enjoy!
Mini Burger Bites (Grain-free, dairy free, Paleo)
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 1 lb. grassfed ground beef
- 1 onion or 2 shallots
- grape tomatoes
- any burger toppings you love
- salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Cut 1 sweet potato into discs, place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and roast in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
- At the same time, place bacon on a lined baking sheet and bake till slightly crispy.
- Combine ground beef with 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, ad 1/4 tsp garlic powder and form into small patties (about 2 inches in diameter)
- Grill mini burgers and onions over medium heat in a grill pan, on the grill, or in a cast-iron skillet, being careful not to overcook.
- Remove sweet potatoes and bacon from oven and stack all ingredients in layers with desired toppings, holding it all together with a skewer or party toothpick.
- Plate and serve immediately, or keep warm in oven on low heat until kickoff.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small can (4 oz.) hot diced green chiles
- 4 poblano peppers, halved
- 8 pieces bacon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine ground turkey, salt, garlic, and onion, mixing well.
- Scoop mixture into the inside of the poblano peppers, and wrap one slice of bacon around each pepper.
- Place on baking sheet, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Honeydew melon
- Slice melon into 1 inch cubes.
- Place half a slice of prosciutto between a piece of each type of melon and secure with a toothpick. Serve and enjoy.
- 1 1/4 pound chicken breast
- 1 whole lemon juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 cup Kasandrinos extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pound sirloin steak
- 1 yellow and 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- salt, pepper, garlic
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh cilantro
- corn tortillas, gluten-free tortillas, lettuce wraps, or paleo tortillas for serving
- Rub sirloin generously with sea salt and fresh pepper and place on grill until the outside is seared and the inside is still pink. Remove from heat and allow it to sit.
- Grill marinated chicken until cooked through along with the sliced bell peppers and onions.
- Slice meats into long strips and arrange on large platter with peppers, fresh cilantro, sliced avocados or guacamole, and tortillas of choice or lettuce wraps.
- 2 lbs. cooked tail-on large shrimp
- fresh lemons
- cocktail sauce (use Steve’s Paleo Goods ketchup for a healthier cocktail sauce option or try out AIP Cocktail Sauce by Amanda at balancingBRCA.com for a great option!)
- For great presentation, place a generous serving of cocktail sauce in the bottom of your favorite pretty glasses, along with a lemon and a sprig of fresh parsley.
- Arrange shrimp around the top of the glass and set several glasses on a serving tray.
- Rainbow chard
- Grassfed ground beef or ground turkey (plan 1/4 pound per burger)
- Farmhouse Culture sauerkraut
- Bacon, sprouts, chipotle mayo or toppings of choice
- 2 pounds organic chicken wings
- 1/2 c. Tin Star Foods Ghee, melted
- 2 tbsp. Flavorgod Garlic Lovers seasoning
- 2 tbsp. Flavorgod Everything Spicy seasoning
- sea salt
- Combine melted ghee and Flavorgod seasonings in a large ziplock bag.
- Add chicken to the bag, seal it, and coat the chicken with the seasoned ghee. Place in the refrigerator to marinate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the wings evenly on the baking sheet, and place it in the oven for about 30 minutes.
Stay healthy and enjoy a whole nourished life, my friends! xoxo, Emily
Your Super Bowl menu looks fantastic! I’m definitely trying some of these. Thanks!
Comments are closed.